Keeping up with our Adventures in Florida!

Keeping up with our Adventures in Florida!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Breakin' the Law.... breakin' the law

Ok, seriously, I mean this..... I am TRYING not to cause trouble here in Florida..... it just finds me & follows me.  So, in a previous post, I mentioned how much I love my morning walks with Adam and the dogs.  More than I love it, I NEED it.  I wiggle in my chair and don't feel complete unless I get my walk on in the morning.  SO weird since I was the one who would drive the long half-block to pick the kids up at Mrs. A's.....

Last week, I'm all warmed up, speed walking/jogging along our favorite path behind the development.  The dogs are running ahead of us, ears up, blazing the trail.  Maya stops to sniff and we keep walking.  I look back to check on her and there's a dude in a red jeep snapping pictures of her on his cell phone and then snapping pics of us..... Oh NO YOU DI'INT... (my hair is a MESS but I flex anyway)...  Just kidding.  You know Adam (fearing the confrontation), he keeps walking.  I walk over to the jeep and say "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???"   He's on the phone with "Animal Control"...  (I should mention that the week before, he was walking that same path with HIS dog on a leash).  "yeah, a little black dog and a tan dog...... not on leashes....." he says on the phone.   I say, "Um, do you have nothing better to do than to patrol a vacant path, what is WRONG with you??????"  (dude, I'm from Philly...can't you tell?)   He says, "You are breaking the FLORIDA LAW and TRESSPASSING".    Oh, whoops.  I am???   So I says to him "you have NO idea how much I love it back here, how can I be trespassing?  I NEED this walk,  I just moved here 9 weeks ago dude, explain???"   (Picture a muscled short tan italian dude with gold chains)   PS - Adam is like eight hundred feet ahead of me.  He goes on to explain that he lives in the development behind us and that people are always dumping trash, vandalizing, speed walking w/ dogs off leash, etc back there..... so he takes it upon himself to drive around (must have been tipped off by my dogs trying to taunt his dog last week) and bust people for taking a nice morning walk with their dogs.  THEN, I put the sunglasses on my head and he's mesmerized by the sincere but watery green eyes....... he starts being nice.  Introduces himself with a handshake, apologizes for being rude and tells me that I can keep walking back there IF I keep my dawgs (must have been from NY, everyone in FLA is from SOMEWHERE) on a leash.   I am SO DEFLATED!!!!!  I would totally trip and fall on my face if I tried to walk this fast with my dogs on a leash.   I was like "we are normal people just trying to get a little exercise - my dogs come right to us when we call them and we put them back on leash when we hit the street".    We finish our walk and dip back into Orchid Bay SO bummed.  

Yesterday, our first day back from Disney, we sneaker up and decide to go a different route with the dogs.  Of course I feel a panic attack coming on since Adam says "I have a new place we can let them off leash"......  he convinces me that it's "ok" since this is where he goes for his run in the afternoons....  We cut through someone's yard (legal, right?) and hit a place called "Alligator Alley".  Feels safe so far?  BREATHE....  (my husband is the "don't worry, it's fiiiiiiine" dude.... until it's not.  We hit the main road where I have to walk up on a ledge with Moose at the other end of the leash, of course I lose my balance and fall and poor Moose goes out into traffic and causes a car to swerve.....  Adam yells, Moose hope, I laugh hysterically.  Whoops.  I'm nervous, cut me some slack!   Off to the horse farm road where we walked when we first arrived in FLA......  Adam lets go of Maya (his brilliant idea is to let them stay attached to their leashes so that if we have to catch them, we just step on the leash and basically give them doggie whiplash).   We're strolling along, picking up speed and I'm happy again.   Moose stays on the leash with me because I'm still not so "sure" about this whole thing.  He is actually MUCH better on the leash than Maya (who we never trained properly since it was winter and Beverly had 18 feet of snow when we got her).   Maya spots the horses and takes off...... she runs UNDER the horse fence and starts running circles around the horses.   OMG..... I don't know whether to scream, laugh, cry or duck under the horse fence and go after her.   She must think that they are tall dogs and tries to engage them in play.... barking and trying to get them to chase her.    I'm starting to sweat and I'm like "Adam, what do we do"....... he says "she's fiiiiiine......."    All of a sudden, Maya goes to sniff the bottom of BIG WHITE HORSEYS tail and BIG WHITE HORSEY kicks his back leg out to boot her into the next town.  Maya managed to miss it but is excited about the attempt at "play".  I scream.  Adam laughs.  Maya runs.  Moose barks (like he's a 150lb rottweiler, as the kennel puts it).  What a SHIT SHOW.... get me OUT of here.   Maya decides to follow us out of there but NOT before she takes a 5 minute roll in a big pile of horsey poo.  

We end up finishing our walk, somehow managing to NOT get yelled at (this time).   Wonder where we'll walk today........

No comments: